Food and Rationing

Potato Cheese

Download PDF
  • 1 lb Cooked mashed potato.
  • 2-4 oz. Grated cheese.
  • Salt and pepper

Method, Mash the potatoes and season well then add half the cheese. Arrange in a greased dish and sprinkle with rest of the cheese then brown under the grill.

I usually stay away from potatoes but this recipe seemed interesting to me. This recipe only required maximum of five ingredients and the instructions are simple. It also reminded me of a Thanksgiving dish my cousin made once. Although there was more ingredients added.

First, I boiled four potatoes and mashed three into a bowl. I added salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes before putting them in the oven so they are finely mixed. Also salt and pepper adds flavor. Potatoes to me are very drying in taste. I only used three potatoes because I don’t really eat potatoes or enjoy them. Especially since this recipe to me seems heavy because of the ingredients.

I shredded some mozzarella cheese into a bowl. I did not use all of this of course since it’ll be too much.

Then, I used a 8″ by 8″ glass dish. I buttered whole dish but left about one inch not buttered. While preparing the glass dish I preheated the oven to 350 Degrees.

I added the potatoes in the glass dish and lightly pressed them to the bottom. I then added the shredded cheese on top of the potatoes. However, I wish I used cheddar cheese or another type of cheese so there was more flavor to this recipe.

Finally, the oven was ready and I put the glass dish carefully inside in the middle making sure it evenly bakes.

Due to the fact it is an 8″ by 8″ pan, I predicted to leave the dish inside for 25-30 minutes. After exactly 30 minutes the cheese was cooked and brown. Which meant the dish is ready to be taken out. If the dish was left longer inside the cheese would have burnt into a blackish color and the potatoes would be crusty from the bottom. I removed the dish out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes on the stove.

I was really scared to try this because I assumed it would taste horrible. Surprisingly! I liked it. I just wish the cheese was different and I wish I added more salt. For a dish with limited ingredients, I was really stuffed. This dish only took about 45 minute in total to make. This dish is probably one of the best and useful dish to have during WWII. It is not time consuming and all the ingredients are accessible.

1. Dear Zuanra,

I am pleased to see this recipe turned out well. Cheesy mashed potatoes tend to be good. I think you are right to question the cheese choice. Not only because of flavor, but also because government-issued cheese would have more likely been cheddar based (a more common British cheese). Some questions to think about are why do you think potatoes and cheese were such staples in the Ministry of Health recipes? You mention at the end that the recipe is “useful,” but why do you think this? Surely there are other things they could cook that were quick.